Ultimate Guide on How to Get a W-2 from a Former Employer

Taxes are fundamental part of the living in today’s society, even if it makes your head to spin when you think about it. If you happened to shift your job and you want to know the tips for getting a W-2 from your previous employer, consider the guideline below.

W-2 also known as Wage and Tax Statement outlines the compensation you got from your previous employer over time. As an employee, you tend to receive this form, at the beginning of the year. Basically, W-2 outlines of you owe tax money off if you will get a tax refund. Thus, it is highly recommendable to have W-2 for the sake of determining your earnings. Apart from getting a summary of your compensation, W-2 shows the amount of money you have contributed to your retirement plan, what you paid for your retirement plan as well as if you made any other deductions.

Reaching out to your former employer is the first critical tip for getting a W-2 from him or her. You are recommended to consider asking the representative of your former HR, for a copy. Ensure you have issued them with the correct address. You can also get a W-2 by contacting the administrator of your payroll.

To obtain a W-2 form; you may need to call the IRS which makes it easy for you. You do not have to fear if all the other means do not work. It is advisable to talk to uncle Sam one on one where you will give all the required information about your boss. IT may also be necessary to give the details of your payments as well as benefits. It may also be essential for you to locate the Employers Identification Number which makes it simple for everyone. You can find the identification number in the last pay slip of the past year. The IRS will then contact your boss and ask them for the missing form. After this, they will ask you to fill a form known as form 4852.

Filling your taxes is also another way of obtaining a W-2 form from your former boss. It does not matter what time you obtain the W2, you must make payments for your taxes by April 15th. This means that you may be forced to estimate your holdings as well as earnings to complete your return on time. The IRS gives a room to use form 4852 instead of W2. They are allowed when the employer fails to provide the correct information in the forms, or they do not provide the W2 forms at all.

On Statements: My Rationale Explained

The Essential Laws of Taxes Explained